Monday, March 23, 2009

Conquest I Update

A recent write-in by Ray Betts, one of the owners of Conquest:

Hi Matt

An update for you on Conquest 1.

She is owned by Garrick William, Ken Morrice and myself and is out of Crescent Beach marina in British Columbia.

Garrick saw her in Frisco or LA about 15 years ago, he was surprised to see her again a couple of years later in Vancouver BC, up for sale, (could this be a case of serendipity?) but in a very sorry state. He and a couple of other guys bought her and moved her down to Blaine WA, and then to BC a few years later.

I knew about the Conquest used as a sail training vessel for the US Navy in Annapolis, but have been unable to link the two. Nor have I had any luck in finding out the hull number.

Maybe you can help here? Out of the 26 built, how many and which are MIA? maybe I can narrow it down.

Great Blog
Regards

(Ray's original comment is attached to the main page for Conquest)

List of active vessels

2 comments:

Whiplash said...

Hi Matt, I was the original owner of Conquest, the original name was Whiplash and we raced primarily in Lake Michigan and some in Lake Huron. We raced and cruised( a little) with great friends and my 2 sons,Doug and Mike. She was/is a great boat never let us down and was a great all around performing boat. When I retired from racing I donated her to the Naval Academy when she continued to win!! Allen Peat

Matt said...

Thanks very much for writing in, Allen -- if you come across any pictures you'd like to share, please feel free to scan and send along to mattdrayer (at) hotmail (dot) com.

Also, send me your email address and I can put you in touch with Ray Betts.

Cheers,

Matt :)